Thursday 20 January 2011

Getting used to my camera.

So, Rosie and I went for a walk into Ilfracombe and then onto the South West Coastal Path and then back home to Slade.


Getting used to the zoom lens;

Picture taken with wide zoom (33mm equiv)

Zoom at 'actual' size, approx 50mm (equiv).

At full tele zoom. 396mm (equiv)
At this zoom it was hard keeping the camera still.
I will use the monopod or tripod next time.


Keeping the focus point fixed, but changing the aperature;

200 @ F2.8

200 @ F6.4

200 @ F8

This didn't quite get the effect I was looking for. I would have expected the focus to be different on each photo. I will try this again using a different subject matter.


Different Focus points using the same aperature;

Focus on the bush in the foreground.
200 @ F2.3
All but the foreground is blurred.

Focus on the mid-distance rocks.
200 @ F5
Foreground is blurred and hill is slightly out of focus.

Focus on the distant hill.
200 @ F11
Foreground is blurred.

Using the Panorama option to automatically stitch three pictures together;


I was very impressed with the result of this. You get the depth and curves of the landscape.

3 comments:

  1. I love the long picture! You're making me homesick. I hope you aren't too sore but we have to suffer (or, in my case, shiver) for our art. Love Reb x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although there's a section in the long picture that has been repeated!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes I saw that. It was my mistake. I didn't realise that the view finder actually shows the ghosting of the edge of the picture just taken, so you can match it up easier. The later ones I have taken (Ilfracombe Quay) are stitched together well by the camera's internal (auto) system.

    ReplyDelete